Sunday, August 11, 2013

Chocolate Meringue Pie

Sweeter words have never been spoken! 
My Instagram friend Bia, in Brazil has asked for my recipe :) 


Bia, this kind of pie is a sentimental dessert
for many people here. 
It is something our grandmothers made for us and so 
we think of them and probably how they showed us to make it.

Three steps are involved and please don't cry if this doesn't 
work the first time! 
We gain gray hair and wrinkles trying to get it perfect...
the following is what I did. 

***
Crust:
1 stick of butter (not margarine) still cold...cut in slices. 
this is 113 grams
With your fingers, in a bowl, you'll kind of pinch the butter into 
1 cup or 128 grams of all-purpose flour. 
Do this until all is mixed and then add maybe a fourth of a cup of ice water. 
Mix well and you should have a nice ball of dough. 
Roll it out and fit into your pie pan or dish, using flour on your counter to keep the dough from sticking to anything. 
Prick holes around randomly in the crust to prevent bubbles. 
My edge is not pretty but many people pinch it into a design. 
Bake this at 350 degrees F until slightly brown and set it on the counter to cool. 

Filling: 
For this part I use a double boiler. I'm sure you could put a smaller
pan in a larger pan with some water in the bottom pan which you'll bring to a boil. Just don't let any water get into your filling in the top pan. 
1/4 cup of cornstarch
1 cup white sugar
6 Tablespoons powdered cocoa
Mix. 
Add 2 cups of milk and 
3 egg yolks (save the whites in a small bowl!! add 2 more egg whites as well. Refrigerate the whites for later.) 
Mix, mix over boiling water until 
the filling thickens like pudding.
Remove from heat and add 1 teaspoon of vanilla and 4 tablespoons of butter. Mix well. Let cool and pour in crust. 

Part 3~You are getting somewhere! 
The meringue:
Take the cold egg whites and put them in your mixing bowl...use mixer on highest speed to whip the whites. 
Add 3 tablespoons of white sugar, slowly while you mix.  
If you have some Cream of Tartar, a pinch will help
the egg whites make peaks. 
Here is a helpful video! 
Now put the meringue on the pie and bake just enough to lightly brown the meringue! 
You can eat it warm or let it cool :) 

I want to hear back from you, Bia! 

If anyone has a Chocolate Meringue Pie memory or helpful piece of advice...please leave it in comments below. 
This is my most favorite dessert ever (if you had to know...) Both my grandmother and my husband's mother made very memorable tasty ones! 


6 comments:

see you there! said...

Your pie looks delicious. I must admit that fruit pies are my favorite but you might convert me to chocolate.

Darla

Kathleen Grace said...

Can you believe a chocoholic like me has never had a chocolate meringue pie? Only lemon meringue. I can't wait to try this! Is this a southern thing?

susan@avintagefarmwife said...

I loove Chocolate pie. My mom makes them and I can almost taste my grandma's chocolate pudding right now. Yum.

Deb @ Paper Turtle said...

Yummmmmm! I haven't had chocolate meringue pie in years. Thanks for sharing the recipe! It sounds similar to what my grandma always made. I know my hubby would love it if I made this...

Lea said...

Beautiful Phyllis! What a pretty pie... bet it's divine! I'm not a good crust maker at all... so usually cheat and buy the premade ones.

Lena said...

Seeing your oh so beautiful meringue has brought back memories of my mom's oh so good, lemon meringue pie, and banana puddings. We didn't usually have chocolate pies, but when I visited my Aunt Helen in Indiana, she served chocolate pie for dessert, and it was really good.

I hope you and yours are doing well Phyllis. I think of you often.

xo
Lena