Tuesday, December 18, 2012

No bliss


Cold and prickly Christmas. 

Not the temperature, it is warm here...
I wore capris today. 

You know what I'm talking about. 
We've got that shared gray cloud. 

Nice we don't grieve alone, right? 
We have entirely too much practice, sadly, 
in grieving as a nation.


My husband has Bell's Palsy and a chest cold
to boot. 
He is fragile and we are lying low. 

I'm thinking back on when our boys were small and 
all the secret preparation we had to do. 
I don't think I could do it anymore if I tried.
It is so funny how each step in the celebration 
this year is like...well, a ball and chain? 

I've read so many posts of people saying they
were downsizing this year...that was before
the wind got knocked out of our sails. 
I think it is a year in which...we collectively
see without a doubt that our tinsel, fudge
and shiny electronics bought at midnight 
on Thanksgiving...
weren't the valuable things 
we thought they were. 

We knew it, we really did. 
Just not in the same way we know it now. 

A group hug is in order and I'm squeezing you 
tightly and wishing you a special time with family and 
friends in
the coming days. 

People will be talking about their resolutions
in a couple of weeks. 
That always catches me off guard. 
Isn't it enough we just got fifteen holidays done? 
Have the kids even been to school this year at all? 
And now we have to set goals? 

I have a goal to sleep tonight and will just leave it at that. 
Hope you sleep well :) 


11 comments:

see you there! said...

Ah, that black cloud. I will be ignoring all the blinking lights and sparkling tinsel and sitting quietly counting my blessings.

Hugs to you and your family my friend.

Darla

nancygrayce said...

Love this! I am praying for our country like never before! And for our own children!

And like you, so glad I don't have to do all the Santa stuff now that the kids are grown!

Hope your husband gets over that Bell's Palsey soon! That is no fun!

nancygrayce said...

I know I spelled palsy wrong, sometimes this won't let me correct!

La Table De Nana said...

Thinking you are spot one here..with all our feelings dulled..

Just wanted to add.. my physio ..who was helping me a couple of years back..helped her dear husband get cured for Bell's Palsy..I can't wait for your husband to be well..:)
Honestly.
The face.. never pleasant..
Enjoy each other this Christmas..

Donna said...

I agree with you, no quick fixes for our country, the decline is disheartening for a long time now. God knows all the ills.
Blessing and Faith!

MaidMarion said...

As the dark clouds linger, we count our blessings and remember the lost would want us to celebrate the birth of our precious Lord and Savior. Pray hubby gets well soon. Love you!

Betty said...

I haven't been here in soooo long and you are saying exactly what I have been feeling. Sending you hugs.

Deb @ Paper Turtle said...

Hi Phyllis ~ I've just had a lovely catch up over here on your blog. Your potato salad and that cheesecake look so yummy! I'm hungry now.

Just wanted to tell you that I love your blog, and your adorable writing style. I always feel like I've had a real visit with you when I read your posts. xo

susan@avintagefarmwife said...

Gosh! Poor hubby. Hope he gets better really soon and that dark cloud scrams. Hugs right back to you!

An Ordinary Housewife said...

I like how you've worded your feelings in this post . . .

I found your blog today via Susan @ A Vintage Farm Wife. I'm glad I did. You seem to have a nice little place over here. :)

Blessings to you!

Natalia Glazacheva said...

Wishing you have Magic Christmas, Phyllis :0)
With lot of love from Moscow
Natasha & Fam