Friday, September 21, 2012

Creative day


I wonder if it's just me or if other people are a little
out of sorts if they don't do something creative.

I was antsy this a.m. 
Ideas were streaming and housework 
wasn't going to cut it. 



I'd been thinking about Madeleines for a few days
and the pan that Jojo-Caramel sent me from Paris.
She included a nice recipe which I have used
but this time I used Julia Child's. 
Have you ever used a recipe of hers? 
It wasn't hard but a little more time consuming.
She says that the hump must be there to call
them a success. 
She also said they are to be served with
the design side facing down. 

AWWW HECK! 
I didn't do that part right. 
I wanted to see the design :) 

Well, I had invited two friends over, one for a photoshoot
that I'd had in mind for her for a long time now.
She has had a couple of strokes recently and
it's been hard. She has had to stop her loved 
teaching job and go into lots of therapies, etc. 
I wanted to make her feel beautiful. 
The other is a friend of both of us and 
she came just for the fun. 
SOoooo....I served the madeleines 
along with some coffee and we 
had a jolly good time! 



My goal was to design her like Magnolia Pearl
She and I both are very pleased with 
the pictures! 
I feel a huge relief because it is something
I felt strongly about doing for a long time.
Mama would say that I had a "bee in my bonnet".



There are other bees buzzing in there too...

I have a friend...a great-grandmother and her great-grands 
that I've had a photoshoot/idea now 
for awhile and have already gathered
their clothes. 
I decided for some reason to do a 
yellow theme. 
Her family tells me the yellow rose is her favorite flower
(I didn't know). 
But I want to have her making lemonade with 
these kids...watch for it! 

And I want to make a carrot cake. 
These things happen. 

So, two creative things today have 
me pretty happy. 

OH! 
One crazy thing I have to share with you...
this is the Hokey Pokey...
in Shakespeare style
(so funny!)

By Jeff Brechlin

The following is from the Washington Post Style Invitational contest that asked readers to submit "instructions" for something (anything), but written in the style of a famous person. The winning entry was The Hokey Pokey (as written by William Shakespeare).

O proud left foot, that ventures quick within
Then soon upon a backward journey lithe.
Anon, once more the gesture, then begin:
Command sinistral pedestal to writhe.
Commence thou then the fervid Hokey-Poke,
A mad gyration, hips in wanton swirl.
To spin! A wilde release from Heavens yoke.
Blessed dervish! Surely canst go, girl.
The Hoke, the poke -- banish now thy doubt
Verily, I say, 'tis what it's all about.
        -- by "William Shakespeare"





10 comments:

Kathleen Grace said...

Your friend looks gorgeous!
I have never made Madelines buy Earl and I are big fans of Julia Childs and her cookbooks. I think we got the first one shortly after we married, you might say she taught us to cook!

Mac n' Janet said...

I loved the Hokey Pokey, and the picture of your friend was amazing.

Julie Whitmore Pottery said...

Now there is an original contest and a brilliant winner.
your pictures are so beautiful of your friend!
I have cooked from Julia, but never Madelines and I've always wanted to. Thats not the sort of madeline pan I've seen before, is it rubber? How were they?
xx

La Table De Nana said...

She looks beautiful:) How kind of you..and she must trust you a lot..
A stroke changes how a person can look and leaves one quite humbly sorry at the loss of familiar face..Wonderful.Love this.
And your madeleines look perfect.The mold is so nice!

Kelly said...

Just watched the movie Julia Julia again with my teen the other day! I am not much of a cook! I am more of the Sandra Lee type! I did get a GREAT recipe for a ice cream cake that is scrumptious and so super easy from http://justjennrecipes.com/ice-cream-cake/2010/06/20/. We celebrated my son’s birthday this week and this cake is what he requested, it was YUM!
Your friend looks BEAUTIFUL in your photos Phyllis. I think you did a great job and I do see the Magnolia Pearl influence and yours is tres chic!
The poem is awesome, I shared it with my teen, she loves Shakespeare! Thanks for sharing.

Cape Cod Washashore said...

What beautiful photos of your lovely friend! You're such a sweet lady, Phyllis!!!

Glenys said...

Oh Madeline. A nice name and yummy too! Haven't been here in awhile. Been busy since school has started.

nancygrayce said...

To be honest, I've never even heard of Madelines but of course, now I'll have to look it up! ;) I especially love the photo of your friend looking up.

Loved the hokey pokey!

MaidMarion said...

A special lady photographed a special lady! Looking forward to the great grandmother and family session....know it will be special too!

As always, you do a great job...love you!

Vintage Jane said...

What a wonderful thing to do for your friend. M x