Thursday, August 2, 2012

Plumb happy with Plumbago


Meow!
I'm Greystone and I'm guest blogging 
for mama today. She says it is TOO
hot and steamy to be on the porch even.
It does feel better inside but I can't stay in
there. 
Mom wants me to tell you how pretty 
her porch flowers are this year. 


You know this one, it is Mandevilla
and mama simply put hers in a pot with nothing
to climb on this year. 


What mama really wants
you to see is this plant she hasn't
had before and even her MOTHER
hasn't heard of! 


Well, mama is in love with it. She didn't
even know it would bloom in blue!
She didn't know it would climb the
brick! 


It shares a pot with English Ivy
and French Lavender. 
Mama likes to think it represents
both her mother's and dad's ancestrys. 
One from Alsace, Lorraine, France and
the other from Kent, England. 



Mom says to ask...
have you heard of Plumbago?
Have you had some before? 
She is going to take both
pots indoors when and if it gets
cold here to see if it will keep 
until next spring. 
I love my mom! 
Sometimes she lets me go 
sniffing in the basement. 

7 comments:

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Hello Phyllis:
A highly original post!!

Your climber is most likely Plumbago capensis, a half hardy climber which requires full sun to thrive. The blue of the flowers is indeed lovely.

see you there! said...

O like your adorable guest poster. Never heard of Plumbego but it sure has a pretty blue flower.

Darla

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

It is a beauty! The name sounds familiar, but I don't have any experience with it.

Mac n' Janet said...

I have one in my front yard, they will grow huge! I had never heard of them before we moved to the south.

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

How fantastic...love that it climbs up the brick....love love love!! Thanks Greystone for showing us the porch...and for giving mom a break :) tell her to keep cool!!

Kelly said...

Hello Phyllis, this plant grows well here in Arizona and along highways in CA. and is considered a drought tolerant type. Here in AZ, mine is a big bush and I am happy to see that there is a a climbing variety.I love your mandevilla, if only I could keep one alive here.
I ALWAYS enjoy reading your blog and I admire all you have done this year!
Your trip to Alaska truly Amazing!

Anne said...

Hi, Greystone! Tell your Mom that yes, I also have Plumbago. Has your Mom had it before this year? We probably live in the same USDA zone (6b-7) ~ I live in the Missouri "Bootheel"; so she will have to take it in to a protected area this winter. If Mom visits my blog, she can see a picture I just posted of mine... (in a mixed pot with pink Vinca)(alittlefurinthepaint.blogspot.com)
I was going to follow, as well, but didn't see where to do that!
Purrs,
Anne