Friday, August 3, 2012

Going green and errr...WHITE



Don't have a cow, man. 


Okra is some good stuff. 
And when somebody gives it to you?
Take it! 
That is some itchy stuff to pick ya know.


This morning I sliced it up, blanched it
and froze it in bags.

Hope I didn't humiliate you with that link. 
I know you are smarter than I in the kitchen. 
And other places. 
I'll make some soup later when the temps drop...
IF, I mean. 

Or roll it in cornmeal and fry it!
(that's totally what Cracker Barrel would do)


These babies are going to be stuffed 
with a cheese concoction and wrapped 
in bacon as soon as I can get
some family members to stay here
long enough to eat them. 
Poppers, right?


Some of our family...left behind FORTY apple
trees which are laden to say the least
and I don't know that anyone is picking other
than me. 

I've been frying apples as fast as I can and
adding sugar and cinnamon, then
freezing in bags. 
SO yummy, y'all! 

To the naked eye, it would appear that I 
really eat healthy and feed my family 
that way. I would like to think it was true.
On occasion only, sadly. 
I'm banking on that breast milk to 
take care of any nutrients they are missing 
as teenagers. 
Have you ever asked whether you were 
bottle or breastfed? 

Do you want to talk about something else? 

Okay...turkeys. 

I'm not calling YOU all turkeys, 
I'm saying I want to talk about turkeys.



This a.m. I got to see the albino turkey that
my son saw recently! 
Crazy, right? 
One blog friend told me that she saw three last year
at the same time! 


Does it bother you when someone doesn't know
the plural term for an animal and says something like,
"they say the bear are coming in"
or
"those turkey are sure eating a lot" 

It does me! 
And then there is the problem of not knowing if 
it's a school of bear, a flock of turkey or a
herd of fish. 

OH!
 One more!
Ew. I can hardly tell it.
When a man measures something
and announces, "it's twelve foot
instead of 
TWELVE FEET. 
AAAAGGGGHHHH! 

I'm done. 

11 comments:

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

I love dishes with okra in them, it gives a fantastic flavour. Envy you the apples as well. The winter left our trees with very few this year! Have a great weekend Diane

Sarah Lounsbury said...

Hello there! Great post, thanks for sharing.

Ciao Bella
Sensible Sarah

nancygrayce said...

I just about laughed myself silly! This was such a great post! One of our sons LOVES fried okra and it sounds to me like y'all are going to be eating high on the hog putting that stuff in the freezer! Those apples!

And I love the cow butter dish!

The one that always gets me is a gaggle of geese! :)

I'm pretty sure I was not breast fed, but my almost 35 year old is always humiliated when I tell people I breast fed him for 2 years and 3 months. I was in my mother earth phase! It passed like so many phases do! :)

Have a great weekend! And take a rest from all that work!

Oh, I love the albino turkey. I'll have to ask the Superhero if he's ever seen one!

Mac n' Janet said...

I love fried okra, but not boiled.
My favorite animal group name is a murder of crows.

Paige Thomas King said...

okra and fried apples?!?!?
2 good 2 be true
i'm on my way . . .

Cape Cod Washashore said...

Okra??? Oh my... that's one thing I never could develop the taste for (and I was served it frequently, much to my dismay - lol). How do you serve it? We usually had it in soups.

see you there! said...

I happen to like all your green foodstuff - even the okra. Sounds like you are going to be set for winter. What an unusual turkey that is.

Darla

Darla

Amy said...

Being a southern girl, I love okra so much! I don't get to eat it nearly enough!!!

-Amy

susan@avintagefarmwife said...

I just can't love okra..even though I have tried a couple of times. I bet I would love yours though! Hmm. I didn't know you could freeze fried apples. I would try that if I had some apples. Darn it!

The Summer Kitchen Girls said...

lol!! you are cracking us up this morning :) yummmmm.....tried growing okra one year....didn't work ~ but heck ya...if someone gave us some we'd take it and run....i smell gumbo in the future! All of those apples reminds us of when our grandparents would come over when we were little and get all of the apples sliced 'n sugared up....and make pies...oh the pies....and freeze them all up for the winter. sneaking those apples while putting them into the bag was the BEST!! ha! What great memories :)
Enjoy all your goodies!!

Monica said...

Love, LOVE your dishes! Just popped by to say hello :)
xo