Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Happy Accident



today was my day with mama and a couple of other
ladies. it's as if I have my own tea room, really fun
because they all appreciate coming so much. 
i didn't plan ahead and had no clue what to 
make for lunch, but it came together quickly
*chicken and rice, slaw, fruit, rolls and fruit tea*
one lady always brings her amish friendship bread
in lemon, pistachio and chocolate. 
Then! 

We hammered flowers.



*whack!* 

you heard right...blossoms and weeds, 
gathered from our yards
hammered into fresh white fabric
to make imprints. 


a rabbit would have been quite happy at
my table today. 


i grabbed coffee filters in which to hammer on 
top of the flowers instead of hitting the 
blooms directly...which in turn put color
on the filters...aha! 
"don't people make flowers from filters?"
says I to myself. 


so I had the ladies use lots of
them so I could shape them into
flowers...three filters makes one. 
all different and so pretty...I decided I
could style a wedding if I had to! 
I put glue on the outer edge of 
my paper flower and kind
of wiggled it into a pile of
white glitter...which I think you can see
from the top photo. 
that one shows the colors kind of
down in the center but
my others have it in different parts on the edges.
I will show them soon!


so we put a white fabric down 
on my plastic cutting board,
then the flowers and weeds
and finally the filter. 
my plan (besides entertaining my girls...)
was to end up with a watercolor-style
backdrop for some Easter or spring
photos. 
I got so much more with the paper flowers
and I will incorporate them in the backdrop, 
tied with ribbons. 


I'm going to add more before it is finished.

you are probably asking if it will wash out?
yes. 
can't wash it. 



there are lots of videos on Youtube
about this very craft. 
they call it "pounding" flowers. 
of course you can do it on blank
cards and other things. 

if you hear some pounding late into the night,
it may be some of these ladies that
were here...
they all had plans to go home and
keep flattening flowers 
into the wee hours, I understand. 
i'm thinking i won't be able to enter any public
place that has blooms at it's entry 
without nabbing some. 

do you think i'm a blooming idiot? 
can i take your portrait in your 
Easter bonnet? 

linking with:


15 comments:

Julie Whitmore Pottery said...

What a great idea and fun time, and something so pretty to show for it.
I love that you do this for your mom and her friends.
xx
julie

Julie Harward said...

I have not heard of this, but it makes such a pretty design and color. I just made a wreath from coffee filters and it turned out great! :)

Betsy@ coastal-colors said...

I have never seen this! Hammered flowers- who knew?! I love this! Your table looks gorgeous!

Designs By Pinky said...

How neat, I have never heard of this! XO, Pinky

Lorrie said...

Very pretty, and so unique. Can't wait to see the cofee filter flowers. Thanks for visiting my blog and your sweet comments, I'm now a follower here!

see you there! said...

Love your new header. The pounding must have been fun and what a beautiful result. You are a whiz at this stuff. I'd let you take my picture in my Easter bonnet if I had one - I think I need to get busy and see if I can find one.

Darla

Martina said...

This sounds like fun! You are so crafty these days - and - blooming idiot? Noooo - flower fairy ;)

Mac n' Janet said...

I've never heard of this before, how interesting, and pretty. Next time I feel the urge to whack something I'll have to remember this.

Betsy said...

What a fun idea, I've never heard about this before. The soft colors are perfect for a spring flower. Very nice!

susan said...

Now that is a neat idea! You are one creative and sweet gal to entertain like this every week. I think next winter I will start that for my mom and mil! also love your new header. Could you help me create one for my blog? thanks!

Cape Cod Washashore said...

OOhhh! Beautiful floral prints! What a great idea! And to think your compost pile will smell so sweet after doing this craft! ;)

Shabby chic Sandy said...

I took a class on doing this years ago--it was so fun! Thanks for reminding me!

All The Pretty Dishes said...

I love the hammered flower look and the idea itself.
Thanks for stopping by my blog and giving me some photo tips. I appreciate it!
Randee

Monica said...

Dear Phyllis,
many many thanks for your sweet note! Sorry if it took so long to reply, but I have no spare time at the moment. I'm so glad you love that plate, it was one of my favorites too (and thanks to your lovely friend for liking it!!).
Hope you have a happy Easter!
Monica xo
P.S This technique is soo cool!!!! :)

Monica said...

P.S Of course I have my Easter bonnet!!!:)