Friday, January 20, 2012

Book Review

Scenario:

You discover on the day your blog badly needs 
a good cleaning and
fresh post, 

(Wait. do you think that comma looks good there...
or would the three dots look better? 
do you call them dots or is there an official
title? somebody?)

that your english teacher from your
years at a private school is reading
your blog.

What would you blog about? 

I say to give that girl a good book review.
Surely she does nothing other than
read, read, read. 

Right?


I chose my book,
Diamonds and Toads,
partially because of it's woodsy
setting but also because
I've almost read two 
pages 
and am way intrigued 
about who taped those
ripped pages and like,
what year and stuff.




One thing in my life normally leads
to another without me having 
a whole lot to do with it.

This morning was no different. 

I DID walk in our woods like 
the girl in my highly recommended 
book. 
Well,  I was searching for spring,
carrying my camera, sure I'd find



something with a sprout to show you.


To say things were gray and 
dormant would be a huge 
understatement.


I may or may not have walked through
two states. 


Okay, Dogwood buds...that there is 
an official sign of spring. 
"Hope springs eternal"...is what I said to 
myself when I saw it. 

That's when it happened.

Mrs. Lawson right there on my shoulder 
said to me, 
those fatal words.

Look.
it.
up.

Girl can't rest. Part of me wanted to 
tell her to go read a book. 
But a bigger part 
wanted to know where did those 
words from come? 

(I could NOT for the life of me put a preposition
at the end just now)

Which brings me to how I discovered Alexander Pope
(why on earth did she not tell me about him before today???)

and read the quoted poem in
it's whole:
Hope springs eternal in the human breast;
Man never Is, but always To be blest:
The soul, uneasy and confin'd from home,
Rests and expatiates in a life to come.

                                                                   Amen and amen.
                                  



yadda, yadda
grief, hunger
pearls, diamonds

Listen! 
If this doesn't sound like the book 
for you, 
I have another one:


I just got a recipe printed in the latest 
Gooseberry Patch
book! 
Page 46~Pork Chop Creole :) 

A little bird said 
that you'd probably like it ;)


thanks Kathleen! 


10 comments:

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Hello Phyllis:
Gosh, an old English teacher reading your blog....no pressure there then!!

How intriguing that you can walk between two states where you live. It is rather like going through the wardrobe in the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and entering a different world. Do you feel different as you pass between these states we wonder?!!!

We should be far more at home with the book of fairy tales than the recipe book. Given our way, we are never to be found in the kitchen!!

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

Love that you have the state sign! Love the look of your header too!

Have a great weekend!

Mary

Kathleen Grace said...

I want to read that book! I have loved old story books like that since I was little and part of me has apparently never grown up! A pretty walk in the woods, and I would probably think it is spring if I was down there! Temps in the single digits here today :>{

Mac n' Janet said...

Looks like a great book. Lord I'd hate to think any of my old English teachers were reading my Blog.

Cape Cod Washashore said...

Congrats on the cookbook feature! ;) I think my favorite photo on this post is... the TENNESSEE sign in your yard!!! Now THAT's not something you see everyday!

nancygrayce said...

I honestly think the only way I CAN end a sentence is with a preposition! That whole preposition thing could be used as torture!

Miss Gracie's House said...

Now that rush-hour cookbook is the kind of book I need! I'm going to have to check it out...and I don't know what the three dots are called...but I sure like to use 'em!
Have a great Sunday!
Rene

Jojo Caramel said...

But ont only your old english teacher.... the banker, ex boyfriends, the neighbor, the teachers of your children... it is perhaps better not to imagine who are the readers :D Ha ha ha
Congratulations on your recipe! The book looks nice!

Martina said...

Bit early for signs of spring, although it was so mild here, that some things did start to sprout! Can't wait for the fresh green leaves to come, but meanwhile, books are a wonderful escape!

MaidMarion said...

Keep on tripping through the woods with your camera, you may find something more exciting than a Tennessee sign....like a "Genie in a Bottle". Don't make the wrong wish. Good luck!!!