Tuesday, September 20, 2011

In the country, it's like this:


hi deer! 

this is how close i was. 
in state parks apparently, 
deer don't run away! 
we talked about things like deer ticks and how they cause
diseases like rocky mtn. spotted fever...
then I ran off...


i don't mean to be corny, but...
farming is everybody's bread and butter.


there is in this pile (not ours by the way...) 
4 million dollars worth of corn.
and guess what?
it has to be kept dry or it will rot.
animals don't want to eat rotten corn. 
neither do i :/


since these pics were taken, it
has been covered with a huge heavy tarp
and sealed around the edges. 
come to think of it...this corn might be seed corn
for replanting...yes, i think the animal food
is in the ENORMOUS bins. 
i'll have to ask. 


kind of a rare sight to see! 
there was a wonderful old wooden barn in this
scene...
i noticed they knocked it down
recently. 
photo-op destroyed :/

are you in a farm family?
would you be able to live an agricultural life? 


i'm kind of like this stalk of corn 
in the soybeans...
i'm blooming where i was planted!
i enjoy my atmosphere...and i thrive in it.
even though...i'm more of a sweat-free, 
air-conditioning/internet kinda girl.
i have deep admiration for those 
who do the hot sticky labor early morning
to late night 
did you know that 
about half of a farmer's job is 
paperwork???
TONS of record-keeping is
required to be a success.
it isn't just waiting on rain. 
many farm wives do the paperwork. 
it involves sweat of a different kind :/


my all time favorite view on a farm
and smell as well,
is the tobacco barns full of tobacco
being smoked.
it is not the smell of a cigarette,
rather the wonderful scent 
of woodsmoke! 
the crisp fall breezes keep
the country outdoors 
smelling wonderful! 
it is always a sign that leaves will change 
color and fall festivals will happen...
you are free to cook with pumpkin :) 
put your watermelons and tomatoes in the closet
until next june...
and realize too...
your jeans from last march are
waaaayyyy tighter than 
you thought they'd be and 
unless you want to buy a size 
larger...you'd best leave that pumpkin
in the can on the lazy susan 
and go walkin'.


(stick around for one more post if you will :)







12 comments:

Lea said...

That is one mountain of corn chicky! Dang... -- I just can't get over how much it costs now. Used to be, we'd buy one bag of laying pellets for like 4 bucks and now it's 11 something. Unreal! Gonna be hard to feed our cows this winter! Might not get to buy any pumpkin. lol (yah right. I aint going without that!) A girls gotta eat right? Loved your deer photo too! She was beautiful!!!

Kaybe said...

I've heard that about a farmer's paperwork too. I wonder how many farmers have gone paperless?

Cape Cod Washashore said...

Wow! That pile-o-corn is quite the sight! There's NOTHING here that comes anywhere near in comparison to that! But as for stashing your produce...I grew up in an antique home that was full of old "jelly cupboards" stuck in the most unusual places (aside from the root cellar)... I even had one cut into the dormer in my bedroom! ;) And I too LOVE the smell of woodsmoke!

Glenys said...

I don't think I've seen a farm like this before. thanks for sharing.

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

Love this time of the year...m...

Kathleen Grace said...

I was raised on a farm, but I have to admit I'm a suburban girl now, although I still love to visit farmland, I would rather live near entertainment, shopping and more populated areas! I still have deer running through the yard at night though and the chickens in the back yard:>)

see you there! said...

Love the farm pics. I have a little farm life fantasy but it doesn't include hard work. Guess that's why it is a fantasy.

Darla

Pam @ Frippery said...

I love the IDEA of having a farm life but the reality would probably do me in. Great photos! That corn mountain is something else. ;~) Pam

Cookie said...

Miss Blissity,
I am not a fan of tobacco being "fired".
It plays havoc with this Cookie's head and nose.
TMI?
I thought so!
Otherwise...loving the bloggy topic because "this is my life"!!
Cookie

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

We live in a farming community and I love it! We're fortunate to also be within a 45 minute drive to the ocean. The best of both worlds in my humble opinion.

I love the tobacco shack! I'll bet the fresh tobacco smells heavenly to!

I'd also, thank you for your kind words about my mom, she will be forever missed and in our hearts.

Lorraine Young Pottery said...

I don't think I could live the life, I don't have a good back. I think you need a good strong back and be ok with glaring sunlight. I have light skin too with freckles. I don't think it was meant to be.

Wonderful photographs!! I have never seen anything like a giant corn mountain.

Lorraine

Gracie's Cottage said...

Tried to leave a commment the other day and blogger wasn't letting it happen! Anyhoo...I love this post. My grandparents were from KY & TN; visiting the tobacco barn,(decades ago), on my great-grandpa's old land was a highlight of my first visit to TN. We've been back a couple of times but I'd love to spend more time down there!

I'm a farm girl married to a city boy. Thankfully we now live in a small farming community so I get to drive the country roads regularly.

Jan