Thursday, July 21, 2011

Hi Doll!


shop update today!
but wait! 
read on...you'll find some nostalgic talk about 
my childhood...
jump in and tell your tales too~
we're all here to help each other heal. 


three items added woohoo :/

it takes so long to photograph and list...whew. 
at the same time, it is really fun and i'd rather 
do that than...you know...iron that pile of stuff on the bed. 


i was rather shocked to find these drink stirrers
with whistles (so cute, right?!) while thrifting...
my uncle had these, and we are cleaning out his house.

did one of my brothers donate them?
weird. i'll get to the bottom of it soon enough...


they work. 
i blew on one :) 
i also found more of them on etsy...someone needs to 
grab all of them, for a party!


limoges.
blue.
lunch.
supper.
dinner.
or petit dejeuner.

eat right!

i'm off to the kitchen to make...
banana nut muffins.
milk chocolate chip with pecans cookies.
pecan tassies. 
granola.
i'm getting ready to sell lunch items tomorrow at our local flea market! 
sell, sell, sell. 
i come by it honest...my depression-era parents
had to hustle. 
(those people worked circles around me! i could not 
ever work as hard as they did) 
always snapping beans, canning tomatoes...endless gardening.
peeling apples, making pies :) 
and ME a picky bad eater!  
didn't like anything with cooked fruit...raisins in the what?
Blech. 
ROOBARB?!
purple celery? and you are making a pie?
i wanted spaghettios and suzy Q's!!! 
potpies and tunafish sandwiches LOL. 

did i ever tell you what my grandmother always
gave me for Christmas and birthdays...???
flannel. 
like a yard and a half of flannel. 
LOL. 
mama had to sew me a gown. 
?
she always wondered (my grandmother)
why my face didn't just light up
when i opened her gift. 
i didn't want to see my mama cry, i guess.
my other grandmother thought she was funny,
when she gave me one of those little starter bras
one Christmas.
i ripped excitedly into my package,
as kids do...in front of my three brothers
who had never to my knowledge even seen my panties
since mama kept me covered and concealed tight
as ft. knox. 
what was i saying? 
OH. the bra. 
lord help me i am still blushing, nay, crying
because three, not one brother saw me open
a bra
in which i'd never had nor needed 
and didn't still far as i knew.
and my grandmother, 
who probably could have used some brownie points,
fell decidedly low on the granddaughter 
approval meter. 
i didn't hug her neck or thank her. 
she should have known better. 

excuse me while i blow into my kleenex...you tell yours now...
i'll read in between mixing batters. 
be strong. 




15 comments:

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Hello:
We are most intrigued by the drink stirrers with whistles and wonder how one can stir and whistle at the same time. Or, why would one need to stir and whistle? Still, enormous fun for parties!!

Kathleen Grace said...

I agree with Jane and Lance, the drink stirrers stir the imagination:>)
Oh the humanity (!) in your story of grandmothers. Guess we don't always know where those kinds of ideas are coming from ad can only hope our own children and grands don't some day say, remember that horrid {fill in the blank} from mom/grandma?! lol.
I'm sure we'll do better. The real question is, have your brothers recovered from the trauma of seeing the unmentionable?

Cape Cod Washashore said...

All I could think of when reading this (the part about your gifted undergarment) was Ralphie on A Christmas Story - no, he never received undergarments, but I'll bet the embarrassment of the bunny suit was just how you felt, too! lol

I have to confess, we had an Avon lady in the family when I was a kid, so my grandmother used to give the granddaughters Avon goodies as Christmas gifts (I still have a box of soaps from the 70's I never used... didn't have the heart... it's shaped like a big tube of Life Savers)! ;)

Cape Cod Washashore said...

http://www.etsy.com/listing/73252015/1970s-vintage-avon-soap-savers


the soap!!!! lol

Merci-Notes said...

Oh MY! All that yummy baking ... there are going to be happy hunters over there tomorrow. I believe it is against the law here in IL to bake at home and sell it... approved kitchen... can not be a home kitchen. but one could rent a kitchen. I think they should change this law!

SUZY Q's! I have my first in college... as well as first use of candy machine and back then I could not even finish a can of soda pop! My Mom fed us healthy with moderate treats.

Have to think about a difficult situation...hmm, not sure about that one... if i had em... i was ok at getting on with life...


LOVE Suzy Q's... i am going to imagine that modern techniques have changed the formula and they are not as good... lets pretend this!

She'sSewPretty said...

Ohhh...you made me laugh so hard this morning!! My grandma had so many grandkids (I don't feel like adding us all up). Every year there were a zillion packages under her tree but they all had the same thing...white cotton panties or underpants. One pair for each of us. she must have bought the economy package! Ohhhhh so thrilling!!

see you there! said...

Gee Phyllis, they were only your brothers, LOL! My GGM lived with us and back in the days before driers hung the laundry on the line in the back yard - yes, including my undies. I was in about the fourth grade and brought some kids (girls and BOYS!) home with me after school. GGM gave us snacks and told us to head out to the backyard (never thinking I'm sure).

SCREECH!!!

I get sort of short of breath just recalling the moment.

Darla

koralee said...

you are very busy....wish I could buy some of your yummy goodies.

Hugs to you. xox

Martina said...

Such sweet, precious memories, makes me go all nostalgic! Would love to come and try your muffuns ;) Happy baking!

Lena said...

We grew up with similar families when it comes to all that hard work. When I was a child though, I always enjoyed being around it all, and I still crave all that homemade goodness.

Yep, I've opened my share of undies under the Christmas tree too! LOL! I used to just barely peek into the boxes from a couple of people, before thanking them, 'cause I just "knew", what they'd hold. Imagine though, what was behind their thinking. They were just trying to help, I think.

xo

Lea said...

You poor thing... I bet that scarred you opening up that ole bra like that in front of your brothers? lol
Girl, I wish I had me a piece of that roobarb pie right now. My Momma made the best ROObarb pie I ever had. Mmmm...
I have no story I can think of to share. Loved yours though!

Paula Parrish said...

Oh, I can so relate to the fact that my Grandma’s gifts never really hit the mark and never said wow I love that gift. Growing up my parents where always busy snapping beans, canning tomatoes and endless gardening as well. I never appreciated the good wholesome food and also carved spaghettiO’s, potpies and pop-tarts. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Smiles, Paula
P.S. Your Etsy store looks Great!

CP Phare said...

Oh my gosh! You make me bust a gut. Did you live UP the road from me? I adored the Spaghettio's and Suzy Q's nod. I may have to steal that combo for the name of my 50's stuff on my etsy site!

You "being strapped down tighter than Ft. Knox" is so appropriate for today. Is this something only GRITS endure? (GRITS = Girls Raised In The South.) I'm listing vintage lingerie on etsy and remembering that awful rubber smell that "good girls" exuded. We learned to walk with our tails tucked in and "Lord have mercy" we could not jiggle like jello! My GM would occupy the last pew in church on Sundays, just to report who needed adequate foundation garments. I remember having to use the bathroom in all that TRUSS work, and feeling like a water balloon traveling over Niagara Falls.

Well, thanks for bringing on the joy again!

dentelline said...

Hi Auntie Bliss,
Thanks for your nice comment!
I love vintage and I like what I see on your blog.
Bises,
Dentelline

Jojo Caramel said...

The doll is lovely!