Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Waxing Nostalgic


happy white wednesday and tablescape thursday~ from the kentucky/tennessee border!

lots of white blog posts to see at Faded Charm as well as tablescapes to see at Between Naps on the Porch (not until thurs.)


playing with my vintage toys always makes me happy
taking pictures of them adds to the fun
having you stop by is awesome! 


let's talk about our grandmothers today, can we?

mine were beulah marie and janet (pronounced jah-NET)
the kitchen was their operation station!
both whipping out southern favorites such as
chocolate meringue pie
(now there's some white to remember!)
and biscuits 
which were hand mixed in a wooden bowl
the dough bowl :) 



one was a quilter and the other a crocheter
and knitter
one lost her husband early on and raised three kids in the depression
the other, with my grandfather, raised seven kids
two women i'm so thankful for and the 
legacy of strength 
they left us youngin's 

i coveted the hoosier cabinet in one's basement
filled with little jars of odds and ends 
that might come in handy some day
don't part with anything!
use it up and wash it out
dishpans
jugs
underwear.



fruit, they always talked about was so rare as it came from way down south and there weren't semi-trucks bringing it in
this pic is from an art print I have
I love the oranges wrapped in wax paper

my modern day twist with a vintage lace placemat
cozy orange trucked right in to my
wal-mart
soooo romantic, 
don't you think?



17 comments:

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

Hip hip hooray for grandmas! They always bring so much inspiration to a family for generations and generations. Love your crochet-swaddled fruit! ;)

Maaike said...

Hey Auntie Bliss, thank you for following creJJtion!

Tammy N said...

As a child, I've taken many a lunch with my orange wrapped in wax paper.

And heard my own grandmothers and grandfathers speaking of that one item being all the got for Christmas most years!

Lovely post!♥

see you there! said...

I always love your White Wednesday. Now about Grandmas...

My Great Grandma lived with us most of the time until I was about 15. She raised my Dad so he called her Mom and I called her Grandma (of course). She wasn't crafty but boy could she cook. It is said I pulled a stool up beside her and started learning at a very young age. It is true that I cannot ever remember Not Knowing how to cook.

Darla

Petite Michelle Louise said...

how beautiful..a lovely story..precious memories. nice to meet you and "merci" for your very kind words on my WW post about my French Prayer Keeps. Yes..i will be selling them in my shop soon. (I will keep one for myself of course..."memere" would want me too! :)) My shop link is on my blog sidebar. TFS!

She'sSewPretty said...

what a sweet post. Can I make you jealous by telling you that we have two citrus trees. One is a tangerine. One is a mystery still. The neighbor has a grapefruit that is hanging over into our yard so that is free fruit too. Right?! Come visit me this winter and we can have citrus for breakfast!

A Cottage Muse said...

Lovely story and photos!! My Nana, Mary Helen is the lovely lady in my blog header. My other wonderful Nana was Viola Rita. Miss them dearly!

Kathleen Grace said...

Lovely to know you had wonderful grandmothers Phyllis. I think my grandmother had more influence in my young life than any other person I can name. She taught me to cook, and sew, and love Jesus. Her name was Ethel and she was a teeny little 4'10" round grandma who always wore her apron and always had a hankie for wiping little tears and noses. I loved her soooo much:>) Still do, even though she is gone to be with Grandpa and Jesus.

Lynn@ The Vintage Nest said...

Oh how I loved this post. One thing I remember most about my Grandma was when we grandchildren visited she always let us have pie for breakfast...one being chocolate meringue! Maybe that's why to this day I love sweets for breakfast. And my Aunts that lived in Florida, used to send us a laundry basket full of fresh grapefruits, oranges and kumquats for Christmas. I can remember putting peppermint sticks in the oranges and sucking the juice out. Now we did this in January in the bitter cold and always ended up with way chapped lips.. :) Thank you for the memories today. Happy White Wednesday! Love your blog.

Conny's Cottage said...

Hello,

you make very nice fotos.
I love fotos make to.
Sorry my engels is very smal.

greatings send you Conny

Cindy said...

Very nice, white photos! Loved them.
Hugs, Cindy

koralee said...

Why is white sooooo lovely??? Your white make my heart sing today my friend. xoxoxo

* French Farmhouse 425 * said...

~**~Such a sweet and charming post!!! LOVED it~*~*Hugs, Rach ;)~*

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

I always got oranges for CHRISTmas. I loved my Grandmother so much...m...

Jojo Caramel said...

Lovely White Wednesday! I also love the oranges wrapped in wax paper!

Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

Hi there!
Just stopping by to say everything looks great!
I especially love the print of oranges wrapped in wax paper
Thanks for stopping by my blog -- hope you'll come back soon!
Jenny
www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

Entertaining Women said...

Thank you for honoring your grandmothers. Mine, Bertha and Olive Clyde were always busy in the kitchen. Bertha could always be found with a bowl of snap peas in her lap. Olive Clyde always had a freshly made spice cake ready for us when we arrived at her house...and RC Cola in the fridge. Precious memories. Thanks for sharing yours. Cherry Kay