Monday, February 8, 2010

Morning Has Broken


A new day, a new week! Are your plans made or are you a kind of fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants type girl? 
I make very few plans and try to stay flexible because I have 3 school kids and 5 elderly family members who need me on occasion. 
I would not enjoy a schedule and thank heavens I don't have one! 
*****************************
I'm sharing with you the bookmark I made for my friend who will get her diagnosis today at noon. She has a fractured spine with a tumor there. If you would pray for Misty and family she would be grateful. Thank you to those of you who are making her encouraging bookmarks! I will show them as they come in :) 
The ribbon on mine says, "You are a gift" and it (the ribbon) came from Big Lots. 

In the kitchen this week:
Scones! 
I took Pioneer Woman's recipe (hers is a sweet one with icing) and left out the sugar, then I added bacon, monterey jack cheese and pecans. 
I will agree that it is an unusual combination...but it was what I thought sounded good...and...
guess what?
It was good! 

Won't you have breakfast with me today? 
In the comments I want to hear about a breakfast that stands out in your memory...


Two come to mind for me...


1) when I was a little girl my mother left me at the table with a bowl of strawberries tossed in sugar and said she was going to the garden...
I wasn't too fruity back then I guess...I flushed them! 


I'll give you a second to get over that one...
ready?


2)I was 21 years old...in Hawaii with my parents (the best friends a girl could ever have!!!) and the spread at our hotel was so incredible. My favorite thing was the danish filled with fresh coconut. I think you could grate the freshest coconut in all of the mainland and not find any that tasted that way. The pineapple there also tastes better than any I could buy here. 
Can't wait to someday have that treat again! 

11 comments:

see you there! said...

Your bookmark is beautiful.

I love to go out to breakfast. One of our favorite places is owned by people from Persia (they still call their country that). They make the most wonderful bread. I like all of their breakfast choices but perhaps the most unusual and my favorite is an omlette with dates in it. Doesn't that sound different? I was brave enough to give it a try and now I almost always order it.

Darla

hometown girl said...

love your bookmark :) i've got lots on the list this week! i love pioneer woman too those look wonderful! have a great week!

jojo-caramel said...

I keep all my fingers crossed for your friend Misty.

I would have love to share the breakfast with you this morning:)

Hope you are having a good day!
Hugs xo

Cottage Way of Life said...

I hope all goes well for your friend.

I hate schedules, they make me feel boxed in. I like serendipity.

In general I'm not too fond of breakfast, unless it's for dinner. I know you're not supposed to, but I usually skip breakfast and head straight to lunch. I do have a memorable breakfast though. I was traveling in France and don't remember the exact city (it wasn't Paris) but it was somewhere in the Loire Valley. Breakfast was included at the hotel I was staying in so I ate it because it meant I could skip lunch, keep going and see more. That morning I arrived in the dining room just as they were serving hot-from-the-oven, freshly baked croissants. It was heaven. I doubt I will ever taste such light, flaky, buttery (without being greasy), deliciousness again. No croissant I have ever had here in America has even come close to how good those croissants were that morning.

Household 6 said...

Hey! I know how to play that song on the piano :)
And furthermore, how did you know I've been dreaming of escaping to Hawaii for a short weekend getaway? I need a drink served in a pineapple, while drowning myself in coconut oil on the beach. Wanna come with me?

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

I can remember the first time I had grits. Hot and warm with melting butter. I still love them today. I think I know what I will have for lunch. LOL. Beautiful bookmark.....smiles...m..

Firefly Hill said...

I love really good and hot coffee for breakfast...no food! I dont really like to eat first thing in the am.

I am sorry to read about your friend...saying a prayer for her.

annie

Gwen said...

I found your blog through HaitiByHand :o) Just thought I'd leave my favorite breakfast memory. My dad worked nights and he was never home for dinner so my mom always made our big family meal at breakfast time. Every morning we ate a big delicious homecooked breakfast together as a family. I didn't realize it till much later, but this was a great effort of love on the part of both my parents, who were both employed full time. We even had our family birthday parties at breakfast!

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

Lovely bookmark! Your scone variation sounds delicious! My most memorable breakfast was in the city of York in Yorkshire. We stayed at a B&B, and they served a full English breakfast. I enjoyed it all (including mushrooms, tomatoes and FRIED TOAST, too) - but the blood pudding I could do without (I did try it and thought I was going to fall off my chair)! lol

Manuela@TPOH said...

That's a lovely bookmark and I will say a prayer for your friend.

Your scone sounds good. I love scones sweet and savory ones.

I've always loved breakfast! It's my favorite meal. When I lived in NYC I used to stay up alllllll night on the weekends and my friends and I would go to a local diner at 4 or 5 am for breakfast (and then off to bed for a few hours). Ahhh...those were the days!

Manuela

Kathleen Grace said...

My memorable breakfast is still my favorite breakfast. My grandmother always made me soft centered eggs with home made toast and butter, and bacon. Mmmm, I never get tired of it and I always think of her when I eat it.