Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Let Us Eat Cake

Or Lemon Coconut bars anyway...
This recipe from friend "Cookie" who doesn't eat such things bless her heart...
I'm thinking we should change her nickname to Asparagus or Beet at the very least...please give your suggestions in the comments for her perusal :)
You may call me Portobella if you so desire...
Coconut and Lemon Blondies


2 cups of flour

1 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

2 cups brown sugar

1 1/4 cup of unsalted butter (10 tbsp)

2 eggs

1/4 cup lemon juice

Zest of one lemon

1 cup shredded sweetened coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour (or coat with cooking spray) a 9.5 x 13.5 x 2 inch baking pan. In a large bowl combine, flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and mix thoroughly. Using a mixer, beat brown sugar and butter until creamy, add one egg at a time along with lemon juice and lemon zest. Slowly add flour mixture and mix until blended. Add the coconut and stir until thoroughly mixed. Pour batter in prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake blondies for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool blondies before slicing into squares.

I want you to notice the scallop dish which was a set I got at the grocery store for under $5...then I added a waterslide decal to each. I think they are so sweet to serve a little treat~
*********************************************************************

Thank you for the bookmark love for my friend!
She took her diagnosis like a real trooper and is geared up for 2-3 weeks of radiation on her spine.

This first one comes from Kathy at Kathy's Cottage . I dare you to look in her Etsy shop!


It is beautiful Kathy, thank you so much.
***
This one comes from Mrs. Mary Isabella at Daisy Bouquet. Love it Mary!
Mary is also a friend of the giftee and appreciates your mail love.

See you soon I hope!

***



19 comments:

She'sSewPretty said...

I mailed you a bookmark today. Hopefully it will be there by Valentine's day. Have a wonderful weekend! I'd love to try that recipe!

jojo-caramel said...

These bookmarks are very lovely! and your recipe sounds wonderful! I might try it very soon :) It's snowing today :) Big Hugs xo
PS- does this post mean that you resolved your problem?

Blissitydoodah said...

I wonder too!
It did let me make this post...but those other 4 are still sitting there with the scrolling thing in the center...
I'm going to try to delete them I guess.
Now what I wonder is- why people's blog list isn't updated when I post?

jojo-caramel said...

I would do that too, and start a brand new one. Are you sure for your list ?
Anyway, you should update Firefox maybe.

Bon, Je voudrais manger de ton gâteau Bliss:) j'adore la noix de coco :) et Clara aussi :)

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

Beautiful bookmarks!

The lemon squares look TOO GOOD!

As for having your updated blog appear in people's follower list, I think it works as long as you haven't disabled your followers list.

Monica@The White Bench said...

Oh I want one lemon bar!!!! They look scrumptious!
Lovely bookmarks too!
Monicaxo.

Blissitydoodah said...

No followers have been disabled. So...can you tell when I update, or not?

Also, Jojo I don't have firefox but Internet Explorer.
I did go to update it but there was a warning saying "this could harm your computer" so I didn't do it.

Kathleen Grace said...

I am praying for God's healing touch on your friend Phyllis. Oh my goodness, those lemon coconut bars look so good!

Mrs. Staggs said...

I am hoping that my bookmark will be there by Tuesday at the latest Phyllis. I'm hoping to mail it tommorow, but like you, my days don't always go as planned. I'm trying to not let that keep me from trying though. In the meantime, I'm holding a good thought for your friend, and wish her well.

Those bars and your pretty dessert "plate" both look so nice. I'm going to have coconut sorbet with strawberries tonight. We could share!

Hmmmm, I think Lettuce is a good first name...then we could add whatever we wanted for a middle name, depending on the day. For instance, today would be a good day for Lettuce eat dessert first!

Blissitydoodah said...

Ooo coconut sorbet!! with strawberries! Mercy.
No rush at all on the bookmark :)
LOL lettuce :) I don't know where Cookie is...she is usually here by now...

jojo-caramel said...

i see, so you were right not to update it.

So, i've bought this afternoon a big bag of shredded coconut :)

coconut sorbet with strawberries...
Olala! that must be wonderful also :)

Happy Valentine's!!!
Belle Saint-Valentin!!!

Manuela@TPOH said...

The bookmarks are just beautiful and all the best to your friend!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Manuela

Cookie said...

Miss Blissity,

Glory bee! I miss coming over here for a few days and then I come to find out, I am the topic of conversation!

I like the way Mrs. Staggs is thinking here. Lettuce is a good first name. Especially when paired with Romaine, Bibb, Butter, Boston, Iceberg, and Red Leaf!

The word Lettuce is used in everyday grammar far more than we realize!
• "Lettuce break bread together..."
• Lettuce be clear…
• Lettuce entertain you…
• Lettuce be perfectly frank… (who the heck is Frank?)
• Lettuce not be ashamed…
• Just lettuce know…
• Lettuce see…
• Lettuce help you…
• Lettuce pray…
• Lettuce do it…
• Lettuce paws know for a blessing… (kudos to Kate Ann for that inspiration!)
• Lettuce help you…
• Lettuce rejoice in the day and be glad in it!

Lettuce take you away from all of this…

Cookie

Together We Save said...

Oh my so yummy!!

Lea said...

Hey girl, Just checkin on you.
How are things going? Just wanted to drop by and let you know I'm thinking of you.
Hugs,Lea

Shelley in SC said...

What gorgeous bookmarks! I need to go back a little further in your blog and see what the bookmarks are all about. Thanks for stopping by my blog via Rebecca's. It's been so fun to see everyone's take on the "heart" theme.

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Hi Phyl, I have heard of alot of people having trouble with Blogger if they use Internet Explorer. I use Firefox and love it. You may want to try Firefox.

Love your new name, Portobella.. But--won't Miss BlissityDooDah get upset??????? haha...

The Lemon Coconut cookies look yummy... I would enjoy them. Got some left????

Have a great day..
Hugs,
Betsy

Lea said...

I'm back reading this one again. Had to look over the book marks. SO SWEET.
Hope your friend is doing okay.
I LOVE that word PORTABELLA don't you?

Lisa Russell said...

I love your recipes and bookmarks! Very nice! I pray your friend will heal quickly.