Thursday, January 28, 2010

Dia de Posole!


Posole is a soup I recently tried at the home of a Hispanic friend. Sometimes I am afraid to taste things I see on her stove! Once I tried *unknowingly* Cow tongue tacos!
I didn't die but.... ;)
Well this soup was so delicious I could NOT get it off my mind and there it was featured on Pioneer Woman's Tasty Kitchen the very next day I tried it.
So I invited my friend and her friend and her baby Maida over to teach me to make it!

Due to playing with Maida more than watching in the cocina...I didn't learn how to do it! LOL! What would you have done??? I see that she poured the broth off of the pork roast and didn't use it at all which surprised me. The other main ingredient is hominy...followed by chile peppers (this is just the skin basically which has been soaked and then pureed and is not hot).

On top of each bowl goes chopped onion, jalepenos (I love them...heat included!) and cabbage! If you are an adventurous eater...I recommend this soup :)
You might want to hold off on the cow tongue tacos though...
edited to say...there are people worldwide who would LOVE to be able to eat cow tongue and I am so blessed and fortunate Thank you God! and I am praying for those very people ...
Note to self:
Don't forget to get a new usb for the Canon Rebel so your photos will be better...the old Kodak Easyshare isn't cutting it...What?
You say I should cut it?

9 comments:

The French Bear said...

Ahhh, what a sweet little girl! Soup looks so good!
Yummy pie too! Looks like it was a great day!
Hugs,
Margaret B

jojo-caramel said...

Little Maida is so cute! i love to take photos of them when they are asleep :)
All of that seem to be so delicious!!! I'm not very fan of Cow tongue, but if you taste it before me and in front of me, i'll try it too :)

I was just writing for you in my comments, that my mushrooms were not papier-mâché, but Champagne's corks :)

Yeeees cut it ! cut it!!! :)))
PS- Can't wait to see Sargeant Major's friend :)

Have a lovely day my dear friend! Big Hugs :) Belle journée!!! xoxo

MaidMarion said...

Please, please cut it....put on a pot of coffee and call me.
Oh my, the baby is precious!

see you there! said...

You know I love talking 'bout food but this time it is upstaged.

Oh my Heavens! That BabyGirl.

Darla

Lea said...

If you don't cut it... I will! Mmm!
Soup sounds "interesting," but the cow tongue tacos... no thankyou!!!
My Grandmother used to cook the FEET on chickens. I have NEVER been even remotely that hungry. lol
That baby girl, is absolutely gorgeous is she not? I want one! Ya reckon these boys will ever get married and have us some kids? I hope so!
You know you were tellin me bout the angel wings in Ezekiel? Have you read 90 minutes in Heaven? Don Piper said when he died and went to heaven, he could HEAR the whirrrr of angel wings. I can hardly wait! It's gonna be amazing.
have a day Phyllis! I'm going junkin!
Love ya,
L

Blissitydoodah said...

Yes Lea I read it and remember about what Don said!

Kathleen Grace said...

Ok, I'm going to tell you the truth, I have had tongue before and I thought it was good. If you slice it up it isn't so obvious that it's well...tongue, and it is really tender. I'm going to have to look up a recipe for this soup, it sounds great on a cold winter day. It's about 17 degrees here right now. Ugh!

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

It looks so very good. I will of course make a bookmark....m.

She'sSewPretty said...

Oh yum, yum, yum!! I love posole. I buy it in a can! ;p
Seriously though...I buy Juanitas posole but I will have to go see PW's recipe. I need to know how to make it too.